After the last few years we’ve had, we’re all looking for more reasons to come together and celebrate—especially with those we love and hold most dear. No matter where we come from or what we look like, our family ties run deep in our bones, through generations and generations of nurtured love and conscious guidance. Feeling like you want to throw a giant shout-out to the story of your beautiful, ancestral melanin and the story it contains? What better way to celebrate your excellence than a Black family photoshoot? Bring the whole crew together, take up space, and celebrate how far you’ve come…who knows what the next chapter will bring?
But why participate in a family photo shoot, and how often should you have family portraits taken? In this post, we’ll touch on these topics and more, including what to look for in a good family photographer!
Top 3 Reasons to Have Family Photos Taken
There isn’t exactly a rulebook on when and why you should have family photos taken—but there are a couple of significant moments in life that might warrant coming together and snapping some photos to keep. If you’re interested in a Black family photoshoot, there are ample reasons to bring your fam together and celebrate. Some of the top three include:
- New babies, including fur babies: What is more important than celebrating new life? If you are celebrating a new addition to your family—whether it be an infant or a new family mascot—chances are it’s an occasion worth remembering. New pets, fiancés or in-laws, babies, and chosen family—cherishing the souls that bring light into your life is one of the best reasons to pause your daily activities and take some snapshots for the family album. How will you build your family legacy and evolve your crew of loved ones?
- Professional or educational achievements: Too often in life, we pass through important moments without taking the time to celebrate our achievements. If you or a family member has recently received a university degree, obtained a long-sought promotion, passed the first year of running their own business, or achieved some other entrepreneurial advancement—it’s time to share the joy!
- Milestones and anniversaries of revered patriarchs and matriarchs: Once upon a time, we used to measure our children’s growth by making a mark with a pencil above their head in the open doorjamb. As the family expands and moves into new phases of life, it can be all too easy to lose track of the ways we’ve grown along the way. In today’s day and age, family portraits are a modern way of making that notch in the door frame, of celebrating what would otherwise be an “ordinary day”—in other words, elevating “the little things.” Do you have a Granny who’s made it to 80? Sounds like something worth gathering for! Photos tell the story of life’s twists and turns—but of the great moments too.
How Often Should You Do Family Portraits?
Of course, this is always up to family preference as well as the logistics of gathering everyone at the same locale—but some families decide they enjoy the annual tradition of coming together for family portraits. This is not only a great way to stay connected and updated on each other’s lives while snapping physical mementos of the occasion, but is a happy family tradition that centers simply around the concept of “togetherness.” In short—do it however often you want, even if it’s once every ten years! While it might interrupt your regular schedule for one day, it creates mementos that last for life.
What to Look for in a Family Photographer
There are plenty of photographers to choose from in the Baltimore area, all with varying price points and specialties. However, not all are going to be the right fit for your family, and not all will be able to catch your loved ones with their best foot forward. Looking for the best photographer for your family photoshoot is a huge part of the process! Fortunately, we’ve narrowed down the top five things to look for in a family photographer:
- Experience: While it can be nice to support young photographers who are just starting out, sometimes it’s best to find an experienced photographer that will keep things running smoothly. This not only ensures an effortless experience in the studio, but also improves the likelihood of ending up with high-quality, well-crafted photos.
- Quality portfolio: One of the simplest ways of determining if a photographer will be fun to work with is by glancing through their portfolio of previous work. They say pictures speak a thousand words…and for good reason! Keep an eye out for the photographer’s use of lighting, any photo editing or software services included, and organic-looking staging for the best results possible.
- Good customer reviews: While it’s generally a good idea to take previous client testimonies with a grain of salt, they can provide a useful general idea of the type of experience you will get. Seek out customer reviews that point out holistic aspects of the process—from booking to payment plans.
- Fun for the whole family: The best photographers will be able to put everyone at ease and make the whole experience fun and easy—regardless of age. This includes Fido! Even if you generally think of yourself who is uncomfortable having your portrait taken, a high-quality photographer will be able to help you to feel comfortable so you can make the most out of your session.
- A photographer capable of capturing everyone at their best: A portrait often says as much about the subject as it does the photographer. For your upcoming Black family photoshoot, look for a professional guided by love, empathy, and a sense of celebration. The best photographers want their subjects to let their light shine—and to catch them with their best foot forward!
Celebrate Black Excellence with a Family Photoshoot
With the ups and downs that come with the journey of life, it’s important to take time every now and then to celebrate how far you’ve made it, what your family has overcome, and achievements, milestones, and new family members gained along the way. If you’re looking for the right person to snap your Black family photoshoot, start a conversation with Baltimore area’s Daniel McGarrity to see if his work is a good fit for your crew. Whether you’re marking the passing of another year or celebrating new babies, Daniel McGarrity Photography will put your family at center stage so all can truly shine.
Contact Daniel McGarrity Photography today for booking, or browse Dan’s portfolio here!
You must be logged in to post a comment.